Date(s) - June 24, 2021
4:00 pm - 5:30 pm
Categories No Categories
This event continues the conversation of the November 2020 Cross-Canada Event: Recognition, Justice, and Development: Peoples of African Descent and Canadian Churches
The evening featured:
- A keynote presentation by Dr. Afua Cooper on the realities of current systemic anti-Black racism in the Canadian context and challenges to the Canadian church.
- Christian voices from across Canada and from several traditions reflecting on the importance of the decade.
- Opened and closing prayer shaped by the experiences of people of African descent in Canada and by traditions originating in the African continent.
The content was rich and challenging. However there was not opportunity for dialogue and action by the participants.
- Small group time to reflect on what we can do together and support each other. (Participants will be grouped into French language and English language rooms)
- Opportunity to hear about and join existing initiatives or to caucus by church tradition or region to connect toward working together on the decade in the Canadian churches.
- This event will be in English with French interpretation. Participants will choose between French language and English language break out rooms.
- Opening prayer, land acknowledgement and introduction
- The themes of the International Decade for People of African Descent
- Small group conversations and networking:
- What will you, as part of your church, do to work towards recognition, justice, and development for people of African descent in Canadian churches?
- What do you need to work ecumenically towards recognition, justice, and development for people of African descent? What can we do together to address that need?
- What is a specific action that you, as part of your church, will do as follow-up from this conversation?
- Action breakout rooms:
- Existing initiatives you might join or support (in the registration, please indicate if you have an initiative to share or invite others into)
- Denominational or Regional Caucuses toward working together
- Closing Remarks and looking toward the next event Fall 2021
Registration is required to receive the event link: