Date(s) - November 23, 2016
9:00 am - 10:00 am
Categories No Categories
Is pornography a public health issue?
Register now (below) to join us on Nov. 23, 2016 at noon Eastern time
(9 a.m. Pacific / 10 a.m. Mountain / 11 a.m. Central / 1 p.m. Atlantic / 1:30 Newfoundland)
What is the price of the widespread use of pornography to our society – more accessible, graphic and more violent than it ever has been? What can our churches do?
- Julia Beazley, EFC Director, Public Policy
- Glendyne Gerrard, Director of Defend Dignity
Related news and links:
- We’ve created an EFC videoclip and blog post you can share with your church and your friends to raise these important issues more widely. The video and blog offer quick summaries of the issues and point to TheEFC.ca/PornographyResources.
- Those interested in going deeper can read the EFC’s September 2016 submission to the Standing Committee on the Status of Women. This four-page submission, “Internet Pornography and Violence Against Young Women and Girls in Canada,” argues that online porn fuels sexual exploitation and contributes to sexual violence against girls and young women. The submission asks Parliament to study the public health effects of internet porn and to consider age verification for porn sites, as is being considered in the U.K.
- See our previous EFC webinar on The Problem of Pornography (May 2016)
- A vote is expected before the Christmas break on MP Arnold Viersen’s motion M-47, which calls on the parliamentary health committee to study the public health effects of easily accessible, violent and degrading sexually explicit material online. (See a sample letter in support of this motion at TheEFC.ca/M47.)
- The EFC is raising awareness of the public health impacts of pornography, bringing in an academic expert for events and meetings on Parliament Hill in November. These events, co-hosted with Defend Dignity, will educate about pornography’s impact on sexual, emotional, psychological and relational health. The first event, Nov. 28, features Cordelia Anderson, founder of the US National Coalition to Prevent Child Sexual Abuse & Exploitation. Details at TheEFC.ca/Calendar and DefendDignity.ca.