Date(s) - November 14, 2014 - November 15, 2014
First Baptist Church
Categories No Categories
Relationships and sexuality are increasingly complicated for young Canadians. As the meaning of love changes, as relational norms and shift and identity labels diversify, it becomes harder for teens to figure out how to live, and what to live for.
Add to this a few other sobering statistics: the average age of first exposure to porn is 11, nearly 1/3 of boys and over 1/2 of all girls under the age of 18 have been sexually abused, at least 1 in 3 adolescent students in Canada report being bullied, and the second highest cause of death in Canada for youth aged 10-24 is suicide.
For those in youth ministry, campus outreach, and young adult ministry, there is a desire to go deeper with young people, to see the Gospel impact the hidden, hurting places of their lives. However, most youth leaders and pastors feel unequipped to walk with students through such complex relational and sexual struggles. They need to understand what is going on beneath the surface, and to be equipped with a holistic pastoral approach in order to journey with those struggling.
DEEPER, a 1 ½ day conference for anyone working serving youth in a pastoral/caring capacity, aims to equip participants to better understand, support and walk alongside youth and young adults dealing with emotional, relational and sexual issues. While being equipped with information and skills, participants will also have the opportunity to process on a personal level during small group discussion and prayer times.
WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT AT THE CONFERENCE?
- Receive experience-based teaching on the fundamentals of a healing life journey
- Explore a spiritually-focused, community-based approach to sexual and relational struggles
- Hear honest, real-life stories of finding hope and healing in the midst of relational/sexual struggles
- Participation in a confidential, prayer-focused small group facilitated by a Living Waters leader
- Vibrant worship sessions
WHO CAN ATTEND?
Anyone leading or ministering to youth or young adults (e.g. youth pastors/ministers, volunteer leaders, university campus workers, etc.), who desire to be better equipped to mentor young people in their relationships and sexuality, and who are committed to cultivating wholeness and integrity in their own lives.
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 14
7:00pm-9:30pm 1) Going beneath the surface: shame, survival and spirituality
– the impact of family-of-origins and peers on our sense of self
– how coping mechanisms develop, help us, and hurt us
SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 15
9:00am-12:00pm 2) Securing the foundation: being, belonging and identity
– how a sense of being and belonging is imparted; what develops in its absence
– understanding doubt, ambivalence and the absence of God
12:00pm-1:30pm Lunch break
1:30pm-4:30pm 3) Healing for the hurts: wounding, abuse and abandonment
– the impact of wounding and abuse on a young person’s inner life
– helping students identify and articulate their hurts
5:00pm-7:00pm Dinner break (everyone is free to get dinner in surrounding neighborhood)
7:00pm-9:30pm 4) Preparing for the journey: despair, healing and hope
– identifying and overcoming the inner enemy: despair
– what is a healing community and how to build one
Note: conference participants are expected to attend all sessions and breakout groups.
Cost (includes Saturday Lunch):
$30 Early-Bird (Group rate: $25) | $40 after October 15 (Group rate: $35)
*Group = 5 or more from same church or ministry team
Registration Deadline: November 1, 2014 (late registration limited by space)
Contact: Matt Martin
For more details:
email@example.com | 604.301.1470