Date(s) - November 19, 2022
8:45 am - 3:00 pm
Royal Oak Ministry Centre
Categories No Categories
Volunteer Training registration is full. Please contact [email protected] for more info.
This basic training will cover:
1) An overview of who we are at Journey Home and the refugees we serve
2) Trauma and challenges faced by refugees
3) How you can come alongside refugees through the culture shock, angst, and practicalities of arriving in a foreign country and making a refugee claim
This is the first step in entering into mutually transformative friendships with members of Journey Home’s refugee community.
Join Journey Home Community for a fun-filled, interactive morning of learning:
8:45am – Registration and morning refreshments (coffee, tea and light breakfast)
9am – Training Begins
12:00pm – Catered Lunch
3:00pm – Training Ends
Registration Deadline: Registration will close on Tuesday, November 15 at 10am so we can make sure we have prepared enough materials and food for the training event.
This training event is for two groups of people:
1) Individuals or groups volunteering with Journey Home Community (complimentary registration). This includes church/community partners in JHC’s “Communities of Welcome for Refugee Claimants” initiative.
2) Individuals or groups (not formally partnering or volunteering with Journey Home) who are interested in learning about refugee claimants and welcoming refugees. ($40 registration fee – see below for details)
Whether you have experience in sponsoring refugee families or have never been involved, this training is for you. Come and broaden your imagination, strengthen your practice, and inspire your mission.
What you will Experience and Learn:
• Introduction to the Refugee Community
• Canada’s Refugee Protection System
• Accompaniment and Support for Refugee Families
• Experiencing the Refugee Journey
• Building Healthy and Supportive Relationships
• Providing Resettlement Support
What is the goal?
At the end of the day, you and your group will be better equipped to welcome refugee claimant families into our community.
What is the cost?
1) For Journey Home Community volunteers/volunteer applicants: The training is complimentary (all costs covered).
2) For churches/groups who are in a formal partnership with Journey Home Community: The training is complimentary (all costs covered).
3) All others are welcome, but we ask you to pay $40.00 to help us cover the costs of delivering this training. Please contact [email protected] for details.
What is your plan for COVID-19 safety?
1) If you are sick or have any symptoms of cold or flu, please do not attend the training. This includes sniffles, sore throat, cough, sneezing, difficulty breathing.
2) In accordance with updated Provincial Health Regulations, we will not be checking vaccination cards or requiring masks.
Can you accommodate special dietary requests related to food sensitivities or allergies?
We will do our best. Make sure to indicate what food(s) you are allergic or sensitive to on your registration form and we will do our best to accommodate you.
Are there minimum age requirements to enter the event?
Some of the content covered includes discussions about refugee-related trauma and post-traumatic stress disorder. This event is best for individuals over the age of 16.
Can I update, change or cancel my registration?
Yes, please contact [email protected] if you need to make any changes.
What if I will be late or need to leave early?
The information covered builds throughout the day. We believe the activities and information covered in basic training will assist you to develop healthy and supportive relationships with the refugee community. Therefore, it is important that you try to attend for the entire day. If your schedule requires some flexibility, email [email protected]