Date(s) - May 29, 2020 - May 31, 2020
Fort Langley National Historic Site
Categories No Categories
Join us May 29th, 30th and 31st for the 5th annual Walk in the Spirit of Reconciliation! This year’s walk will be self guided, maps will be provided and you can walk at a time that works best for you! We will be posting Indigenous information, stories and videos on the Facebook Event page for you to read or watch before or during the Walk.
“The sacred walk is a distinctly Canadian and Indigenously flavoured act of political, spiritual and social witness.” ~ Bishop Mark MacDonald, National Indigenous Bishop, Anglican Church of Canada
We hope you will join for any/all of the days as we walk in lament and solidarity with our First Nations brothers and sisters whose families have been affected by the residential schools for many generations. As anyone of our human family have been affected, we are all affected.
Here’s everything you need to know to join in!
1. Register for the Walk and choose your route below!
We will be providing each registered walker with a t-shirt. Please let us know what size t-shirt you would like when you register.
2. Walk a selected route on May 29th, 30th or 31st.
– Route 1: Fort Langley National Historic Site to The Dyke (88th and Trans Canada Trail) ~ 7km
– Route 2: The Dyke (88th and Trans Canada Trail) to McTavish Road ~ 6.5km
– Route 3: McTavish Road to Mt. Lehman Road ~ 6.5km
– Route 4: Mt. Lehman Road to Mod Pro Containers (along Trans Canada Trail) ~ 5km
– Route 5: Mod Pro Containers (along Trans Canada Trail) to (go under the Mission bridge) Riverside Road ~ 8km
– Route 6: Gravel Parking Area (Harbour Avenue & Horne Street) to Heritage Park ~ 5.5km
– Route 7: Heritage Park to (walk along a gravel trail) previous site of St. Mary’s Indian Residential School (currently Pekw’xe:yles Reserve) ~ 1.5km
– Your Own Route: Walk any portion of the walk, whether it’s 1 KM or more. Pick a starting point on the map and follow the route to your stopping point.
– Solidarity Route: If you live outside of the Fraser Valley area, please join us by choosing to do a walk in your community on May 29th, 30th or 31st. Let us know where you walked and how many kilometres.
If you can’t walk, please join us by reading/watching the Indigenous information, stories and videos we will post throughout the week prior to the walk and during the walk. Let us know if you took time to review these resources by posting on this FB event.
3. Join the Facebook Event at HERE and post photos letting us know you completed your selected route or a section of the Walk.
Send us a photo, selfie, text or post the starting point of your walk and at your stopping point. Also, share any other fun photos along your walk that we can post on the Facebook event page!
Please follow social distancing guidelines while participating, please allow 2 metres between other people or groups of walkers. For more information click here.
The Walk in the Spirit of Reconciliation is in partnership with, the Christian Reformed Church, Diocese of New Westminster, Mennonite Church British Columbia, Mennonite Central Committee BC, United Churches of Langley and Willoughby Christian Reformed Church.