Date(s) - March 31, 2020
5:00 am - 6:30 am
Categories No Categories
Many are pondering the global cataclysm that is the Covid-19 epidemic, and wondering what the world will look like when this is all over. To that end, the World Evangelical Alliance Sustainability Centre in Bonn Germany will be hosting an important webinar on Tuesday, 31 March 12:00 to 13:30 UTC. We hope you will join them.
Here is the description:
On 11 March 2020, the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the coronavirus a global pandemic. Since its outbreak in January in Wuhan, China, the world has increasingly been gripped by fear as the virus spreads. Normal life and societies in many places have been disrupted. Businesses, schools, and industries have been affected. Countries are on lock down and large populations are under quarantine in an effort to contain the spread of this virus.
This is a global challenge. We express deep concern and sympathy for all who are affected, especially to those in parts of the world where this challenge is being most acutely felt. We express our deep regret at the fatalities that have occurred.
The current outbreak of the COVID-19 virus and its quick spread has a lot to do with how humanity (mis-)manages and (mis-)uses the environment. It also has some very practical implications for creation care work around the globe – both on the advocacy and the implementation level.
The webinar wrestles with three key questions:
1. Stepping back – What can we learn about humanity, our societies, and our planet from this crisis?
2. Stepping out – In which way does the current COVID-19 crisis provide a historic chance to rethink and redo the “People and Planet partnership”?
3. Stepping up – How can people of faith be inspiring voices of hope and helpful hands of good these days, spreading the positive virus of transformation globally? Amid global crisis and suffering, we want to think about some of the ways to find hope for humanity and the planet. How do we immediately need to start communicating and acting to make “People and Planet 2.0” a healthier, more stable new normal after COVID-19?
The list of speakers will be familiar to many of us:
- Kuki Rokhum, Head of Training and Mobilization, Evangelical Fellowship of India Commission on Relief (EFICOR) (tbc)
- Matthias Boehning, Director, WEA Sustainability Center (confirmed)
- Dave Bookless, Director for Theology, A Rocha International (confirmed)
- Katherine Hayhoe, Climate Ambassador of the World Evangelical Alliance (tbc)
- Ben Niblett, Coordinator of Renew our World, Tearfund (confirmed)